Friday, August 1, 2014

What happened to hip hop?





I remember when I was younger and spoke to adults about music, they always mentioned music from the era they grew up in. I was actually really lucky to be growing up in the 90's. I think that was the golden era of hip hop, and some people might disagree, but if you really listen to all the hip hop that came out during that time it was fucken amazing. Working in the music industry and having to listen to all the bullshit that people are putting out now makes me sad. I think about Biggie and Tupac and I wonder if they were still around if they would be making the same crap music or would they stay true to their craft? There are a lot of rappers out there that make music for the money and not for the culture. I even see these "old school" hip hop artists that are trying to revamp their styles so they can make that money and become popular again. NOW don't get me wrong you have to make music that appeals to the public but I don't think you need to dumb down your lyrics to do that. When you mention that you like rap or you know rappers, people have a very distinct thought of what it is, BLING, ho's, money, and ignorant. Some rappers are exactly like that and they do it because that's what sells and it's disappointing.

Then you see the struggling MC's out there who are all about the culture and won't degrade their music for the money. These are the artists that aren't making "pop" hits and no one listens to their lyrics and what these artists stand for. It just sucks that these artists can't have an amazing song and make money off of it because people can't twerk to it. Look at Shmurda and how his career popped off... This dude put out one video on Youtube and it turned out to be the hottest thing since Rihanna came out in the see-through dress. That song ain't shit. Yeah I said it. I'm not going to pretend that he deserves the fame he received because he did a little wiggle in the video. That's not what hip hop is about but apparently it's the new shit and yes everyone from Beyonce has co-signed him, but seriously, did they co-sign because he's lyrical? NOOOO!!! He's famous because of the stupid dance that everyone is doing.  It's not about his music it's about how fun it is to do his dance at parties and on stage. Then the young people of this generation see it. They think this is what rap music is about. If I didn't listen to indie hip hop I would HATE hip hop.

So I have to give it up to the blogs that do promote indie artists and let the generation know there are more real hip hop artists out there that care about the culture and understand it. They know where their roots are and they take that into consideration when they make their music. Yes, Shmurda might be fun to shake your ass to when you're out in the club with your friends, but when it comes to real hip hop give me some Oddisee. Let me know when you listen to him and hear what REAL hip hop is.


No comments:

Post a Comment