Friday, September 23, 2011

Beats, Rhymes & Life: The Travels of a Tribe Called Quest REVIEW



I’ve watched many movies and none have really made me think and feel sad. I think that Michael Rapaport did an amazing job of getting this documentary done. I know that Q-Tip went crazy about it and tried to tell people not to watch it but I think it’s cus he thought he looked bad (which he did) but at the same time it is what it is. I mean if the other people in the group say the same things then I can’t think that they are all against him. At the same time I think that they needed to really talk it out and then hug it out. Sometimes stupid shit you need to forget about ESPECIALLY when you’re an influential group like them. The movie shows real emotions and thoughts. It’s something that you don’t see in hip hop.  Now, the reason why I was sad was not because of the whole beef that they had but because hip hop today isn’t like this anymore. The music doesn’t have the same feel and no matter what people may do today they won’t make that impact on the hip hop world like Tribe did. It made me remember that “mainstream” hip hop was actually good in the 90’s. Hip Hop was a fun and socially conscious. Artist wanted to be smart and they wanted people to think which is something artist don’t do anymore. Being in the music industry and having to listen to music that sucks it makes me sad to think that “mainstream” hip hop will never get back to that. There isn’t a new group today that would be able to have a documentary made about them that people would care about. If this movie made such an impact on my feelings it had to be AMAZING. So if you haven’t checked it out yet you should!!

No comments:

Post a Comment